The Faculty of Philosophy has the oldest and largest library of higher education at the University of Novi Sad. It was founded in 1954 and currently it has been serviced by 26 librarians. It is the second largest scientific library in Vojvodina related to humanities, with more than 290,000 books and 260,000 periodicals available through both the printed and electronic catalogue.
The library has more than 6,000 members with 1,000 new members joining each year. It covers the total floor space of 3,550 sq metres and it provides the accommodation for 490 users at a time (450 students and 40 researchers).
Its collections contain legacies, old and rare books and current publications, both domestic and foreign ones, that are the base for conducting teaching and scientific activities at the Faculty. The photograph below captures two of the oldest books in the Faculty’s possession, the oldest being the left one dating from 1586.