Department of German Studies
About the Department of German Studies
A division for German Language and Literature was founded in 1954 and was, together with divisions for English Language and Literature, Russian Language and Literature, French Language and Literature and the Phonetic (later Language) Laboratory, a part of the Institute for Foreign Languages and Literatures. In 1993, the Department of German Language and Literature was transformed into the Department of German Studies, which today consists of the Department of German Language and Literature, the Language Teaching Centre, the Research Division and the Seminar Library.
In 1993, the Department of German Studies established post-graduate degree programmes in two fields: Literature Studies (German Literature) and Language Studies (German Language). The curricula have a modern concept and, by providing a wide range of available courses and encouraging an interdisciplinary approach, provide postgraduate students with the opportunity to actively participate in creating their future educational and scientific competencies. Since the 2002/2003 academic year, the study programme at the Department of German Studies has been modernized, bringing it closer to contemporary European trends in the field of higher education.
The Department is in active collaboration with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Robert Bosch Foundation, and has also collaborated with the Goethe Institute in Belgrade. During the last few years, the Department of German Studies has been one of 15 universities from around the world recommended by the Institute of Germanic Studies at the University of Regensburg to its students for internship training.
Every year at the Department of German Studies, 60 students are enroled in the Bachelor’s degree programme and 20 students in the Master’s degree programme.
Tel: 021/459-276, 021/459-276, 021/485-3860